Thursday, April 30, 2009

Dementieva, Bartoli advance at Porsche GP


Stuttgart, April 30: Second-seeded Elena Dementieva overcame a slow start to beat Agnes Szavay of Hungary 7-6 (4), 6-1 on Thursday and set up a quarter-final match against Marion Bartoli at the Porsche Grand Prix.

Bartoli, a former Wimbledon runner-up from France, beat seventh-seeded Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark 7-6 (6), 6-4.

Dementieva, a Russian who is the Olympic champion, fell behind 4-1 before battling back to win the first set. She cruised through the second, but then needed five match points to end it.

"I really had a slow start, it was tough to come back from 4-1 down," Dementieva said. "I am still finding my feet on clay court. It is my first tournament of the year (on clay) and my footwork needs to improve. It is just important to improve match by match, and make sure I am ready for the French Open."

The Stuttgart tournament, previously played on a hard surface, has become the first indoor clay event on the circuit and is a warm-up for next month's French Open, the second Grand Slam of the year.

0 comments: